Tuesday, January 02, 2007
Camera
At our December Ward Meeting we discussed those items which will be of concern in 2007. Thank you to all of those who came and engaged in the discussion. I have stated at forums, ward meetings and Council that I am not in favor of our speed light cameras and red light cameras. I am sure we will hold a lengthy discussion on what to do in the near future and I welcome your comments here.
Shawn Hamerlinck
Shawn Hamerlinck
Comments:
<< Home
If the lawsuit is won eventually by the city, who knows, I'd like you to focus on limiting additional cameras in the city. I can understand the placement and reasoning for the current cameras, at the same time, more is not better. Let's not make this issue a dog fight but rather a collaboration of ideas to improve safety without infringing on privacy.
As for red light cameras, I could care less if they were on every intersection. I do agree that we have enough speed cameras though.
I like how they act as speed bumps, slowing traffic where needed, but without damaging your car. I think bigger signs should be put up warning of them, so if someone isn't paying enough attention to see them, they definitely deserve a ticket.
I still don't really understand the legal challenge, because all of the problems listed seem to apply to parking tickets as well. The city doesn't prove who parked the car in a particular spot, and the tickets don't go on your insurance record. One could argue that they're just a revenue generator, or that they serve a purpose, just like the speed cameras.
I like how they act as speed bumps, slowing traffic where needed, but without damaging your car. I think bigger signs should be put up warning of them, so if someone isn't paying enough attention to see them, they definitely deserve a ticket.
I still don't really understand the legal challenge, because all of the problems listed seem to apply to parking tickets as well. The city doesn't prove who parked the car in a particular spot, and the tickets don't go on your insurance record. One could argue that they're just a revenue generator, or that they serve a purpose, just like the speed cameras.
Yes, but QCI there is not another law out there for parking tickets. That's the whole point, currently you have two ways (different laws) to get a speeding/run red light ticket. (one not near as punishable as the other).
Yes, but QCI there is not another law out there for parking tickets. That's the whole point, currently you have two ways (different laws) to get a speeding/run red light ticket. (one not near as punishable as the other).
Yes, but QCI there is not another law out there for parking tickets. That's the whole point, currently you have two ways (different laws) to get a speeding/run red light ticket. (one not near as punishable as the other).
What my dad suggested was if they remove the cameras they post a traffic cop where each of them used to be and write people real, insurance-raising, license-costing tickets to see if they prefer that so much more.
I think people's real issues with the cameras comes down to this: They're not sporting.
I don't know if that concerns me.
I think people's real issues with the cameras comes down to this: They're not sporting.
I don't know if that concerns me.
I'm all for getting rid of the stationary speed cameras and going to moble units that can be placed in non-marked vehicles. Oh what a great tool this would be!! Never knowing where the cameras are and what kind of vehicle they are in. Then folks would wish it went back to the way it was, kind of like the QCRPA and housing inspections.
Post a Comment
<< Home

