Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 

Work Session

This is a reminder that today at 5:00pm in Council Chambers there will be a work session to review the concept of creating a tax rebate for city property taxes paid by those age 65 and above who are below certain income thresholds. We will also review the Prairie Heights land sale.

Shawn Hamerlinck

Comments:
You political blow hard. How about a tax break for my younger family that just struggles to get by. Why should my tax dollars be increased (and they will over time), so a 65+ year old that had all their life to save a pension walks away from their responsibility of city taxes.

I am a 2nd ward resident, and I will not vote for you again. I am tired of city hall being run by political hacks.
 
Anonymous:
I must say that I am interested in speaking with you. Please give me a ring at 563-529-4857.

Some people age 65 and over may not have enjoyed financial luxuries while working. For a wide range of reasons they may have been disabled. My intentions are to assure that they will not have to forgo their medications or even food because of the pressure Davenport taxes place upon them.

I am looking for ways to make the quality of life better for everyone who lives in our community. The financial impact on the city can be minimalized through responsible spending and awareness as we go over budgets. Young families like yours and mine should not have to continue to pick up this burden.

I want to thank you for your vote in the last election. Perhaps you can give me a call and we can discuss ideas on how to help other populations in the city. I look forward to hearing from you.
 
I think we should be giving $$ to families with children to fix up their homes.
 
As a young person I'm fairly biased, but I do tend to feel like young families trying to get started in this area, or young professionals who move here or come back after college should be courted more than senior citizens.
 
DWB says ...

This is a good idea for Davenport's seniors. The benefit for young families and professionals needs to come through better city government planning and spending on projects and programs.
 
Alderman Hamerlinck, at the committee meetings you inquired about two homes being platted at Hillandale and Kimberly. Is the lot in question on the south side of Kimberly, and East of Hillandale? If this is the correct lot, hopefully the two driveways will exit onto a side street, and not onto the slope of the street along Kimberly. It would be great to have that property developed, as the church that now owns it failed to install sidewalks as promised, and the vacant land is often a target of illegal dumping of trash, yard waste, whole trees, and on occassion, abandoned vehicles.
 
Anonymous:

The lot in question is North of Kimberly. This is the land North of Wal-Mart. If you want a copy of the plan you can pick it up in the Council Office. I will have one available for anyone who stops by.
 
I just stumbled upon this blog and appreciate the fact that you read comments and consider them. My husband and I live off E. 29th St. and Brady. I have only lived here for about a year (otherwise I was on the IL side) but cannot believe the overall feeling I have that I am in a city that doesn't care about their citizens. What I mean by that is we have a neighbor with rotting garbage bags in their yard, a dark/overgrown alley, nonstop loud stereos driving by, and currently fireworks all weekend. We love to go to VanderVeer in the evenings and watch the fountain while enjoying an ice cream cone. We recently went and found car loads of younger "questionable" people loitering with their stereos blasting (at 9:30pm in a city park?!). We take pride in our home and yard. I used to take my dog for an evening walk on the Duck Creek path but with the recent attack I'm too scared now and never go. We see off-leashed dogs all the time and wonder when a dog/child/person will get attacked and why there isn't any enforcement. Overall, we just feel like the city is lacking in enforcement and police. And we have no idea where to turn to voice our concerns. More importantly, we feel like the city has SO many problems right now, that ours are very insignificant. We plan to move this fall and we are still unsure which city we will look in. We had always planned on raising our family in Davenport, but after being here a year we are uncertain.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
 
Alderman Hamerlinck: you don't have to go far to see how aweful that the new trash carts look setting out on someones driveway, instead of putting it in the garage. There is a house right up the street from your house, about ten houses to the north, and there can sets out in front of the house and they have a double car garage. The neighbors should not have to look at that. Those people should be forced to throw some of the crap away out of their garage so they have room for the new trash cart. That house is just north of yours, same side of the street as yours, up roughly ten houses north.
 
Anonymous:

Give me a ring at 563-529-4857. I would like to help you out with some of your concerns. I don't want to see you move away.

Anonymous:

I have spoken with my neighbor ten houses up. We have actually had multiple conversations. I will stay on it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?